Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What I Did Last Night

Keep in mind that I'm in my thirties now, rather than my twenties, which means what I did last night is much more G-rated.

Actually anything I did in my twenties was G-rated as well. I guess I've always been a prude. Or boring. Or...something.

Don't worry, this is not a pre-midlife crisis post. This is a I'm-happy-to-be-getting-to-this-place kind of post. Just bear with me.

I finally have the area just behind the house all cleaned up. For my first three months here I've been trying to get all of the shingles, old siding, and plaster picked up from this pile that was created by my relatives in their frenzy to get the roof completed. The roof now looks awesome, but the yard...not so much.

And yes, it would have been smarter for them to get a big dumpster to throw it into, or to hire a truck, etc. Actually, they did do those things, but when they got filled up and went away, the ground was their final resort. After 3 truck loads and countless hours (when there's no way you can pick these things up in bulk), the area is CLEAN!

This house...is clean.

(If you can't tell by now, I'm a big movie-quote fiend. It's just who I am. Oops, tv quotes, too-- sorry....)

So, I've finally gotten to the point that I can beautify the place. Make it beautimus. You know, that sort of thing. I picked up two flats of flowers (say that fast five times) for only $12! These end-of-season deals rock!

Speaking of rocks, I planted what I call "Mexican Roses" (although apparently that's an entirely different plant, so no idea what to call these) amongst the rocks in the planter by the back porch. We have to keep rocks in here to keep the farm dog from digging everything up, so I just resigned myself to a rock garden.


When they all fill in and get to blooming it will be so purty!!!

This toad looks how I feel--just barely hanging on, hoping for the best.

The other flat of flowers (I have no idea what these are called, either as they had no tags but they were purty so I got them anyway) I split between the patio set and the hanging basket...


which hangs off of the old windmill right by my back door (yes, only in Kansas, Dorothy).

I've actually got big plans for this windmill and they don't include removing it :) I think it's a pretty neat artifact from the old days. For now, it supports my flowers, and if you look in the lower-left hand corner, you'll see it also serves as a lovely tie post for one frisky, annoying puppy.

No comments: