Friday, December 10, 2010

Day Zero Project: 101 things in 1001 days


I first saw this idea over on Nicole's blog, That's Life (check it out!), and then followed her link over to the official website of the Day Zero Project. Since I'm unabashedly unafraid to jump on a bandwagon if I think it's a great idea, I thought I'd start a list of my own.

Start Date: December 10, 2010
End Date: September 6, 2013

8/101 = In progress
5/101 = Put a fork in 'er! (aka "completed")

1. Show a horse I bred
2. Reach my goal weight
3. See Machu Picchu
4. Spend a day at a spa
5. Write a book, even if it's never published
6. Finish the basic lay-out inside my house
7. Blog about each item on this list when I complete it (5/101)
8. Read ten literary classics (0/10)
9. Run a 5K
10. Participate in NaNoWriMo
11. Complete emergency 72-hour kits for me and my critters
12. Go on an overnight trail ride
13. Learn a new "man-skill" like welding, carpentry, etc.
14. Have 3-month's salary in an emergency fund
15. Pay off both vehicles
16. Go to a wine festival
17. Earn a ROM (Register of Merit) with one of my horses
18. Write and illustrate a children's book
19. Complete an unfinished project
20. See a Broadway Musical
21. Have my viola restored and learn how to play it
22. Have a headstone made for Eddie
23. Start a strawberry patch
24. Publish my genealogy online
25. Be a vegetarian for a week (1/14/11)
26. Write a list of 101 things I've already achieved (12/13/10)
27. See an opera
28. Visit 4 more World Heritage Sites* (0/4)
29. Watch a meteor shower
30. Write down all my bad memories, then burn them
31. Carve my name in a tree
32. Create a shade garden
33. Visit five states I haven't been to before (0/5)
34. Answer the 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind
35. Take a picture of each letter of the alphabet in nature
36. Go on a picnic
37. Try five new foods
38. Learn another language
39. Buy flowers for someone
40. Learn to ski
41. Watch all of
AFI's 100 Greatest American Movies (29/100)
42. Get a master's degree
43. Refinish the original hardwood floors in at least one of the rooms upstairs
44. Make a time capsule
45. Gather up my great-grandmother's recipes and make them
46. Set up a clothesline outside (5/22/11)
47. Donate to a rescue every year on Eddie's birthday
48. Get my grandma's pickle recipe and make it
49. Enter a run/walk/ride for a cause
50. Try one thing I've already formed a negative opinion about

Man, this is hard!!

51. Not hit "snooze" on my alarm for an entire week (0/7)
52. Give a fake name to a barista
53. Make a family cook book
54. Organize the photos on my computer
55. Go berry picking and make something with them
56. Enter a writing contest
57. Read a biography
58. Take a photo of the same place every month for a year (0/12)
59. Try 20 new restaurants (3/20) Legends, Jillian's Italian Grill, Danny Boy's BBQ
60. Finish my laundry room
61. Teach myself to hang drywall
62. Create a signature cocktail
63. Get all the north shelters set and fully fenced
64. Build a perimeter fence around my farm
65. Put up a goat fence and shelter in the tree row and get a couple of goats
66. Visit Paris
67. Fix up the old original house on the place
68. Win a year-end award with one of my horses
69. Make digital copies of all the old family photos I have
70. Have all my horses at least green broke (1/5)
71. Hit golfballs at a driving range
72. Send a random gift to a friend
73. Go to the movies by myself (1/18/11)
74. Organize all the tools on the farm
75. Volunteer
76. Hit baseballs in a batting cage
77. Drink wine in Napa
78. Tie a note to a balloon and let it go
79. Visit NYC
80. Paint every room in my house
81. Finish changing everything back to my maiden name
82. Try a new hairstyle
83. Watch a lunar eclipse
84. Watch a solar eclipse
85. Get a brush (deer) guard for my truck
86. Tear down the old barn
87. Write a product review for something I liked
88. Try a mint julep
89. Try a warm, buttered rum
90. Learn to can tomatoes
91. Make sandplum jelly
92. Send out my Christmas cards on time every year
93. Run a timed event (barrels, poles, etc)
94. Repaint my horse trailer
95. Triple my 401K
96. Burn the remaining brush piles from the 2007 ice storm (2/9/11)
97. Rip down the old hog shed and replace with a new hay shed
98. Replace old PC with a laptop
99. Paint a mural somewhere in my house
100. Have a real lawn in my front yard
101. Create a new 101 in 1001 when this one is complete!

*I've visited six of them already, so this will make ten. I'll blog about the six I've visited soon.


OK, that was really difficult. I think I need a nap now. I wonder how many of these I'll finish? I tried to make it all realistic, even if some are more far-fetched than others. In any case, I'll post the link to this list on my sidebar so my readers can keep me honest from time to time :) Reaching for the stars (or at least the floodlights),

Photobucket

6 comments:

Krazy Cindy said...

wow, are you ever ambitious!! i don't think i'm ready for such a long task list. my head would 'splode! best of luck :-)

Alan T Hainkel said...

If you want any help with any of it, I'd be willing to lend a hand... :D

Jessie said...

Cindy, you crack me up ("splode") LOL. I kept thinking hey, it's almost three years, so hopefully I'll have time!

Alan, I'd be happy to have you help me with any of it!! Just say the word. :)

Nicole said...

Oh wow! Such a great list! I can't wait to see your progress!!!

World Wake Up Call said...

I came across this somewhere, so I read your complete list of DayZero goals, and I must say it was pretty awesome! I loved how it really involved really random things.

We've made a blogpost trying to inspire as many as people as possible to participate (one of our goals was to write this ;). Perhaps you want to leave a comment of what you thought your best or most interesting goal was?
http://worldwakeupcall.blogspot.com/2011/01/dayzeroproject.html

Would be awesome :)
- Griffith.

Jessie said...

Hi Griffith--thanks for visiting! I certainly will take a look at your list. It's fun to follow what other people are doing as well :)