Friday, October 3, 2008

A Sad Update

A couple of weeks ago I discovered that my beloved gray mare, Larry, is dead. I do not know what exactly happened, but the evidence strongly suggests something terrible. All I know for sure is that I had to drive down to Oklahoma and pick up her daughter, Paula, from the same place and I found her in this condition:





I am heartbroken and angry to say the least. The last time I saw Paula (when she was in my care), she looked like this:

She is recovering quickly just on hay alone, so it's clear the only thing that caused her to be in this condition is a lack of feed. I just can't make any sense of it. Larry deserved so much better and I fear that Paula may have long-term cconsequenses from her condition.

The only thing I can do now is look toward the future--try to get Paula healthy again and enjoy her, show her, and have some fun with her. Thank goodness she'll be home with me again soon.

No comments: