Friday, December 26, 2008

Update on Paula

On March 1, 2008, I allowed my dear, pregnant mare Larry and her daughter Paula to leave my hands. I am 33 years old and this is the single biggest regret of my life. Larry and her foal did not make it and when I picked up Paula on September 23, 2008, she looked like this:


Today, December 26, 2008, three months after the above photo was taken, Paula looks like this:



I cannot stress this enough--never, ever lease your horse out to Cecilia (Sandy) Jarvis of Elk City, OK (aka Diamond J Ranch). They've now moved, so I'm not sure if they are in the same area, so do not rely on her location alone. Her other horses looked fine, but for some reason she felt the need to dump mine off, according to her own words, at her parent's place "up on the mountain." She never contacted me when my mare died--she only told me after I contacted her, TWO WEEKS later. It is obvious that Paula was only lacking one thing--FEED. There was absolutely no reason for her condition and absolutely no reason why my mare Larry and her foal is dead.

I know people are probably sick of this but I can't thank Darlene Worthington enough for helping me save Paula. I don't know what I would have done without her. When I called her and told her Larry was dead, she could have just told me she was sorry and left it at that, but she jumped into my problem with both feet and set about helping me outline a plan to get Paula back. She had her trailer completely ready for me to borrow by the time I got to her place, texted and called me to make sure I was ok all along the trip that terrible night, and let me crash at her place, as well as letting PAULA crash at her place for a couple of months, rehabilitating her for me and me unable to pay her. I just can't thank her enough for her incredible selflessness and being such a true friend to me. Without her help, I would have been lost. It hurts so much to have lost Larry like that, but Darlene helped pull both Paula and I through it all. Thank you Darlene!!!!

No comments: