Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Years Torn Away

As promised, here are pictures of my dad's house renovation.

Actually it's a picture of Sophie snoozing on my jacket in the corner while I'm tearing away the paneling and closet, but you can see some of the work done behind her.

Here's a closer look.

This was all in one room. There are 3 or 4 layers of wallpaper behind the paneling, which was put up in the late 60's, we believe. The wallpaper above is one of the very oldest layers.

This was the second layer, underneath the newest layer.
The wallpaper below is from the hallway. I'm fascinated by the vibrant floral pattern. They certainly weren't afraid of color!

This wallpaper (below) is the newest layer. I think this is from the 50's. Tomorrow I'll write more about this particular pattern and a very interesting find!


Here is the top border for what I think is the oldest layer. It's very artistic: the scrolling, pastel colors (or is this the faded remnants of an even brighter color?), and the almost modern look to the flowers.
The house has a lot of work still left to do, but seeing these layers being torn through gives us a unique glimpse into this house's past. I really think that this renovation is going to restore this old house to its formal glory!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to tear up the paper in my room but that would be A LOOOOOOT of work!

Jessie said...

Well you could always just put paneling over it like these people did! ROFL!!!!

Krazy Cindy said...

I have always wondered what my house was like before it was renovated. Not nearly as colorful, I'm sure!