Monday, December 14, 2009

Stupid

You'd think by the title of this post that I have some rant or complaint coming, but this is actually a post about a dear member of our family.

Her name is Stupid.

She's my dad's farm dog--a medium-sized lab-like mut, about 11 or 12 years old, and has lived her whole life with him there on the farm.

I couldn't get a very good picture of Stupid. She was very busy this day.

Lots of moles to find and squirrels to chase.


Stupid has been my Dad's dog for the past decade (and maybe a little more). The very sad fact is that she's the only dog that has ever been dropped off at Dad's house that hasn't been hit on the highway.

Being out in the country, Dad has gotten a lot of dogs wandering up to his house over the years, but Stupid was the only one who has stayed and survived.

My dad warms up her canned food in the winter, makes sure she's flea and tick free all summer, always makes sure she has fresh water and a warm place to sleep, and she has all the room in the world to roam and chase birds and squirrels to her heart's content.

Apparently, she's a lot smarter than her name implies.

2 comments:

Krazy Cindy said...

I had a barn cat named Stupid when I was a kid. She got the name because she would walk right off the ledge in the barn without paying attention when she was a kitten. She lived longer than any of the other barn cats we ever had :-)

Donna said...

Oh my gosh, NO snow, what a novelty! We've been buried out here, sometime soon, I'll have to send you pics!