Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I Got the Bird

I live in the country.

The country has lots of critters. Said "critters" include large pheasants who aren't exactly renowned for their intelligence.


I have a commute and said mentally-challenged critters like to stand in the way of that commute. Therefore, sometimes the critters and my commute meet in the ugliest way possible.

Once upon a time (aka before 7:45 this morning), my car had an intact grill in the bumper.

And an undented radiator.

And shortly before 7:45 am this morning, Mr. Pheasant said to his little hen-wife, "I think I'll take a very sudden stroll out onto the highway today, just as a silver Camry is coming up over a hill."

She asked him why.

He said, "Just to see what happens."

And now you know the rest of the story.


Photobucket

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you at least get to eat it?? mmm pheasant. We have wild turkeys around here and they are SO DUMB! Once I was driving down the sideroad here and there was said flock of turkeys. I slowed down knowing they usually run at the worst moment. They ran, one did not. In a panic the last turkey could not wait and it made a mad dash... right into my passenger side quarter panel and rocketed off someplace into the bushes. No damage but the next day I witnessed the same thing but the suicidal last turkey took a jump and jumped right onto and off the other side of the neon in front of me. Stupid turkeys.

Jessie said...

Ha! No, I just left him on the side of the road. He was already a little toasted from the radiator, so I figured some coyote will enjoy him.

We've got turkeys here, too. I've seen a hen walk all her chicks around on a major highway like she was trying to teach them to run in front of cars or something.

Oh, you're so lucky you didn't have any damage. Those are BIG birds!!

I guess they don't call them birdbrains for nothing! LOL!

larainydays said...

I an imagine the rest of the story, but I did like the way you told the beginning. Great blog!