Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend Trips

This past weekend was a bit crazy, so I'm getting caught up on everything, including my posts!

Saturday was a trip to Wichita to plan some items for the house, and to see a "sneak peek" viewing of the movie Secretariat.


It was really good. I wasn't happy with the movie Seabiscuit, so I was a bit wary to be honest. I was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely a movie worth seeing. A few of the scenes were a bit hokey (especially for anyone who knows horses), but overall I felt like they captured much of the daily horse-life (no matter what field you're in) beautifully.

I loved the part where they explained that the dam was just as important in breeding a great horse as the sire. They really explained well why Secretariat was such a great horse--his breeding was no accident. I doubt it will make anyone's breeding plans change, but with such a surplus of horses out there that need good homes, I was glad that Disney made a point of showing that Secretariat was no accident.

Saturday I got a call to see if I'd want to haul a trailer out to eastern Kansas to earn a little extra money. Of course the answer was a resounding YES!

So Sunday I pulled a gooseneck header trailer out and brought a bumperpull header trailer back.

In case you're not a farmer, a header (also known as a platform) is the harvesting attachment that goes on the front of a combine. They have their own special trailers because they are big, heavy, cost a lot of money and aren't difficult to damage.

And believe it or not, this is not the oddest thing I've hauled with this particular truck. Here's a list of things I've hauled in the three years I've owned this silver Dodge:

Pulled:
Stock trailer
2-horse bumper pull trailer
2-horse gooseneck trailer
Featherlight trailer
U-haul
Hay trailer
Header trailer
Roundbale trailer
Trees
*singsong* and a Bobcat on a flat bed.

Hauled:
Appliances
Panels
Gates
Fence
Boxes
Hay
Grain
lumber
Dirt
Ashes
Branches
Lawnmower deck
Beds
Antiques
Furniture
Roundbale
Plaster
Shingles
and a casket.

I thought about writing to Dodge to tell them how much use I get out of their truck, but then, they'd probably never believe it. I'm just a girl, afterall. Girls don't drive trucks, let alone use the heck out of them. Right? Riiiight.

Breaking down the gender barriers, one dirty truck bed at a time,

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Ain't that the truth!!! If I didn't have my truck, I'd feel like my arm was missing!! :)