Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Garden-athon

The past three days I have been gardening, gardening, and...

gardening!!

Today I put in a herb garden. I sure hope Herb likes it. I wanted to plant mint (for mojitos, of course) but didn't want mint taking over my farm, so I used this old tin sink and set it into my raised bed to contain the mint.

I have two sides to the sink, but only one type of mint, so I'll get another kind soon to round it all out. I'll have to sample plenty of mojitos and see which kind works best. Anyone want to join me?

The mint I planted is called "Chocolate Mint." I also planted basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, Italian parsley, and lemon verbena.

I also planted lavender, but put it up by the house so I can enjoy the wonderful smells right as I walk through the door.

Speaking of wonderful smells, I came across a wisteria that I absolutely had to get. I figured it would grow perfectly up the south side of my garage, and I could smell it as I got my veggie garden ready in the spring. Problem was, that side of the garage needed a lot of work.


It took me about an hour to get both the old satellite dishes down. Dad had hit the TV one with the lawnmower roll bar when he lived here and I never had the satellite TV hooked up (rabbit ears work fine for me, as much as I watch TV). I also no longer have Wildblue service. I now have internet through a cell phone carrier with a device that works much like a cell phone, so no need for that dish, either.

One day soon I'll get the old garage painted as well, but for now, it's "done."


I have to actually build a wall on the west side of it, so I figured I'll wait and paint the entire thing at once. Hopefully I can get to it before the wisteria gets too big!

Yesterday I planted my rock garden. I had a friend give me a lot of plants (white irises, all kinds of daisys, and some really amazing naked lady plants) and along with them, some nice rock-garden type plants. I wanted to add a few things for some color and found these beauties.
I've also always wanted some Hens and Chicks in my garden, and I found this interesting specimen called "Spider Web Hens and Chicks." I'm hoping these will scare my hens and chicks away from my Hens and Chicks!

5 comments:

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I could use a chocolate mint mojito right now. And Brett said to tell you that I found him under a rock. I said I would tell you that it took me 20+ years to dig him out from under that rock. ...not sure you want a clone of all that work...

Grey Horse Matters said...

Your gardens are going to be awesome. The colors will brighten the landscape and the scents will be sweet as you work around the yard. Very pretty.

Nicole said...

you can come plant my herb garden next :)

smazourek said...

I can't wait to see your place in all it's garden glory this summer!

Vintage West said...

Wow that is going to be a lovely herb garden, great idea on the sink. I can't wait to see your Wisteria in bloom, it's one of my favorites but I can't grow it here.