Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Do, do.

Sometimes I think I've bitten off more than I can chew.


Of course, I'm not really sure I had any choice in the matter.  I suppose I could have stayed on unemployment until I was able to get a job, but anyone who knows me knows why I couldn't do that.  I have never been on any sort of assistance before in my life and it was extremely difficult for me to even file for unemployment.  The last thing I wanted to do was sit around and wait for opportunity to knock.  I'm the type that I'd rather go crashing through doors asking, "Anyone seen opportunity here?  I'm looking for him.  OK, will let me know if he shows up...and sorry about your door!"

And besides, did I really want to go back to sitting behind a desk all day?  No thank you.

So, I'm working hard at school, finally have straight A's (while keeping fingers crossed I can maintain that through the rest of the semester), working hard at work to keep my critters and car fed, and then me if there's anything left, and trying to keep my head above water in all aspects.

I have finally figured out a career path that will enable me to have multiple final career options, but in the meantime giving me a live-able salary while I advance my training and education.  I'm going to apply to the RN program at the school I'm going to now, try to complete it in two or three semesters instead of four, and then work while I apply to both the PA program and the B-RN programs at WSU.  There are basically two paths I can take to the same job (Nurse practitioner/Physicians assistant) so I'm trying to cover all my bases.  Everyone and their dog wants to be a PA, so it is highly competitive (400 applications last year and they only accept 40) and I had no idea how to get clinical experience (necessary to be accepted into the PA program) without any formal training, so going the RN route will give me two options simultaneously--the clinical experience I need as well as the option to pursue the Nurse practitioner route.  That's the plan, man...we'll see how it changes the more I get into these programs and my research. I really don't have much room for error given my law school debt, so I have to absolutely make the most out of every opportunity I can.

I've been a little wore out in pretty much every way, so despite all this emotional, intellectual, and financial stress that I've endured over the past couple of months, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I've lost over 20 pounds since my grandmother's funeral.  It actually sounds more impressive than it actually is, since after I got laid off I gained 12, so my net loss from my plateau weight is only 8+ lbs, but at least it's heading in the right direction.  Pilates are also getting so much easier--I can even do the advanced moves now, and instead of a "workout" it's become a way for me to stretch and relax before I go to bed.  If I can pull off a couple more pounds I will officially be off this stink'n plateau that has plagued me for so long, so wish me luck!  I do feel pretty darned good, and I guess, due to working on my feet, I've lost a full 2" off my thigh, which is probably too much information, but I feel like we're all friends here and I can share, right?  Right.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that I haven't been able to run much because I keep pulling my left calf.  I decided I probably wouldn't make it to the Prairie Fire 5K, so let my good friend Alan, who was going to run it with me, know.  The problem is that my good friend Alan didn't realize that I love to talk about doing things, but never actually end up doing them.  He was under the mistaken impression that I was a "do-er," so he registered for the race!  I have no idea where he got the impression that I actually do things...I mean, when do I DO things? So now I'm in do-do because I have to actually do what I said.  I'm not sure I can handle the pressure!  Ack!  The horror!!!!

(Alan, you know I only mention you because I know you can take it :)

So today I went for a run.  I went three miles, running half of it, which I didn't think was too awful considering it's been a while since I've run much at all.  My calf held up, despite my hamstring on that leg tightening, so I was thrilled that I might be able to start pushing myself a little more.  I've taken the time off work and will actually have to commit to it now.

And then afterward, there will be celebration unlike any celebration ever seen.


Yep, something like that.
~J

6 comments:

Oak Creek Ranch said...

2" off your thigh? Whoo-hoo! That means more than the scale in my book. Going the RN route is a good thing - I work for a hospital system so I know first hand that there is a huge shortage of RNs. Wanna move to California? (just kidding - how could you ever leave your beautiful place!)

Alan T Hainkel said...

Ya know, we don't have to run the whole thing.

And you're right... I can take it... I didn't do anything wrong... Yet... ;)

Jessie said...

Thanks, Annette! Oh, after this terrible weather pattern over the last year I am pretty close to moving! LOL But you're right, I couldn't readily leave my little farm :) I feel better knowing that someone from the "inside" agrees this is a good move. The only downside I've heard is that everyone wants RN's with bachelor's degrees, but they do have a good placement rate at this college, so hopefully I can get something while I work toward the B-RN, or the PA program, either way.

Alan--I have to be able to keep up with YOU!! :) Nope, you didn't do anything wrong--in fact I'm glad you registered, actually (I just had to razz you a lil LOL). I think it's going to be really a lot of fun!!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sounds like you've got some good plans. Best wishes in getting there.
2 inches! Man, I've gotta start running. My jeans are TIGHT!

Anonymous said...

Your ambition just plumb tuckers me out. Which might be a good thing at 4:00 AM after not sleeping for a couple of hours. Just thought while I was up, I'd check up on you and see how things were going for you since I haven't been blogging in a while. Still the same Jessie. Love ya to pieces.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I gave you an award on my blog. Stop by and pick it up when you get a chance.