Sunday, September 18, 2011

Neglected

My poor kids.


The dogs suffer so.  They're inside the house all day long, abandoned and having to do without the attention they crave.


My poor, terribly-abused horses have been going without as well.



They took it upon themselves to right the wrongs done to them.  They weren't going to take it any longer. Before I knew it they had gathered the troops and surrounded the enemy.  And pulled on her pony tail, just in case she didn't get the hint.



In all seriousness, I have felt the pangs of pet-owner guilt over the last few weeks.  I haven't had much time to spend with any of my animals.  This stress has been compounded by the fact that I haven't had any hay in my barn for three weeks now.  I've had to rely solely on a mixture of beet pulp, dehydrated hay and a timothy/alfalfa pellet mix that I've devised.  While my horses have lost a bit of their bloom, I am happy that they haven't lost nearly as much weight as I feared they would.  



I'm holding out, waiting to see if my hay guy can get one last cutting.  I am caught in a dilemma of either waiting on what I know would be great, reasonably-priced hay, or not waiting, driving a long ways and paying a premium price for hay of questionable quality.  Stupid drought.....

Evie is thinking long and hard about this conundrum.


The turkeys contemplate.  What, I don't know.


Perhaps Sophie can find the solution.


I'm sure the answer to everything--my pangs of guilt over the animals not getting enough attention, the lack of hay, world peace--will be as clear as the shadow on the wall.


And when it does, it should help my fowl mood a great deal.

"Victory is ours!"
~J

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Is that you with your critters? If so, you're so pretty! And this drought is affecting a lot of people. Our hayfield is tall but not thick and I was calling it the field of gold this weekend to which my step-daughter asked if we'd be cutting the gold. lol

Jessie said...

Aw, thanks, Nicole, but it's smoke and mirrors LOL! I usually don't chance breaking my camera but I get a lot of complaints about there being no pictures of me, so I am trying to be better about it. It's difficult for an ogre like me, though....

I was hoping you had fared better out your way--I might need to travel for hay, but looks like I'll have to go north instead of east I guess! Funny about the gold--I do think gold is cheaper right now, though! Sad but true....