Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day

I think the only way the past few days could have been better is if I had won the lottery. As a matter of fact, I feel almost like I had! The weather was absolutely gorgeous--our 100+ degree heat wave finally broke and it did so in grand style. Despite the fact that I didn't have to be anywhere or do anything I got quite a bit done. I also was able to relax and spend cherished time with family, ate way too much Mexican food (I swear last night I lapsed into a mexicoma), and got some stuff done for the animals.

For my birthday, Dad bought me some panels to extend the pen for the chickens and turkeys so when they're penned up all day they have a bit more room to roam.

This is my Americauna rooster--one of only two roosters remaining (the other is a Silkie). I think he's a pretty handsome devil, although not nearly the personality that my little cochin roos had.

I will feel a lot less guilty about them being locked up all day long during the days when I have to go to school and work.

Today the birds got to spend the entire day outside, though! They enjoyed every minute of it--I could tell....

Although it wasn't hot out, they still enjoyed time by the water spigot.

I am convinced they are fairly confused about what species they belong to. When I bought them they were in a cage right next to ducks, so perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised?

Although no work was done on the house this weekend I wanted to share what a huge change is taking place to the front right now.


In the picture below, you can see how the old trim looked. That trim is at least 120 years old, so it's a little past its expiration date. Plus, it doesn't help when half a tree falls on it (as it did during the ice storm in 2007--you can see where the storm window is broken).

Thank goodness it didn't break all the way through! I'm replacing all the windows, so no hurry to fix that storm window right now. Plus, you can see what an eyesore the old porch is in that picture--once that is replaced I think the house is going to look completely different!

Below is all of the finished work, with the guttering installed.

It's coming along, slowly, but surely. I feel so blessed to finally have a farm of my own and one day this house will be everything I ever wanted. I have no doubt it will be well worth the wait.

Hope status: returned :)
~J

3 comments:

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I'm glad that dog didn't come around again. And turkeys.... well.. . let's just say they aren't known for their brain power.

juliette said...

Glad you had a relaxing day of work and being with animals!

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Aww... I love your turkeys:)