Friday, May 28, 2010

Always Finish What You Start

This story is also called "I will do this at a later date." You'll see why in a minute.

In case you're wondering what the heck this post is about, please darling, you mustn't worry so (name that movie). This post is the third in a series from the Code of the West. The idea is to tell a story about one or more of these unwritten laws of the land. Anyone is invited to participate, but you must leave a comment directing us to your post so we know!

Today's topic: Always finish what you start.

Ok, bye.

Just kidding. I had to do it. It was ripe, on the tree, so I picked it.

Moving on. I learned the lesson of "always finish what you start" back in the third grade. That was only ten years ago. I swear.

Hey, this topic is not about telling the truth. As long as I finish, that's what counts, right?

Well, in the third grade (ahem, ten year ago, give or take) I had a terrific teacher. Her name was Ms Dollard. She was incredibly kind and patient, which was a good thing for me because I wasn't such a good kid.

See, I had this problem with homework. I didn't want to do it.

It was boring. It sucked. I had other, much more important things to do.

So, I started writing at the top of my homework "I will do this at a later date." I figured that as long as I explained that I did indeed intend to complete my homework at some point in the future that it would be perfectly fine. I covered my bases. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Well, obviously my line of reasoning was a bit skewed and when Ms Dollard found a stack of papers in my desk, all with the above note written neatly across the top of each paper, my parents got a phone call.

Luckily for me, Ms Dollard was sympathetic to my plight, so instead of sentencing me to hard labor (aka more homework) I was tested for the gifted program at the school. Thankfully she did not mistake my boredom for apathy. I tested high enough to be able to attend the gifted program at school and my academic career was on a much steadier path after that.

So, thanks to Ms Dollard and my parents, I learned that even though some things might not be fun or challenging, it was still important to finish what you start.

No comments: