Sunday, May 9, 2010

Special Delivery

Last Monday morning I got a very special delivery:

My new horse shelter!! It has 2-12x12 fully-lined stalls and a 12x6 tackroom. With this, the old barn and once I get one more 12x12 shelter every horse will have it's own stall and run! It will be so nice this winter not to have to worry about the horses out in the cold.

If you're anything like me (and I'm very sorry if you are), then you probably wonder how in the world they delivered a 30 x 12 BUILDING. I figured it would arrive on a flatbed, but how do you get a building from the truck to the ground, anyhow?

Well, here's how:

First, I got the spot picked out, leveled, and marked.

See the itty-bitty, teeny-tiny flags?

Then the truck arrives!

By the way, see that barn in the background? There's a story about that barn that I'll have to go into later, but I just wanted to point it out. You know, because it's my blog and a I can.

So there.

OK, so the driver arrives, with the shelter in-tow.


He asks me where it goes and then he begins to manuever the trailer to the site.


Back her on up there, Deen.

By the way, I didn't know Deen at all until this delivery, but now I've gotten to talk to him and his lovely wife. They are the ones who adopted Dakota!! He delivered my building and he took home a horse.

Well, not on the same trip. Dakota doesn't ride on flatbeds....

So, anyway, here's where I wonder how in the world that building gets on the ground.

I have a story here I just have to tell you. My dad works with this guy named Charlie. He's crazy. His nickname is Crazy Charlie. Well, one time Crazy Charlie delivered an old truck that my dad thought he wanted. It wasn't running and there wasn't anything he could really do to get it off his flatbed, so he chained it to a tree, got in his truck, and pulled the flatbed out from underneath it.

That's why he's called Crazy Charlie, and for some reason that's the only vision that would come to me any time I imagined getting this building off the flatbed.

Thankfully Charlie doesn't work for Sturdi-Built. This process was much more carefully planned and a little less...well...nail-biting. First, they tilt the trailer:


It tilts some more...


...and once it's got one end on the ground, the trailer is carefully scooted out.


"Scooted" is an industry term, by the way.

Then the building is very gently set down by the hydraulics on the flatbed.


Finally, it's set down.

Just a little more gentle method than tying it to a tree and flooring the truck, although both end up with the same result. I think I was a little less stressed with this method, though.


Here's a view of the tackroom. It will be sooooo nice to have a nice, dry tackroom!

Here it is, all set up!! Now I've got to get fencing up, but the building is all set!!


And its all mine. All. Mine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lucky you! Get working on that tack room and fencing girl we wanna see it.