Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dumped

A couple of weeks ago, I came home to some tire tracks in my yard. My first thought was that I was glad my little tree I had just planted was safe, and my second thought was how mad I would have been had they run over the tree.

Then curiousity set in. Why would someone drive up over there? It was on the south lawn, so too far from the house to be someone helping my uncle with the roof. I just couldn't figure out why someone would drive up over there.

Then it hit me--the tracks didn't go anywhere. They went straight to the tree row and then back to the highway.

Someone had pulled up off the highway to dump something. Nice.

When I lived in Missouri it had been a dead calf, but I knew many of the people who raised cattle around here. It would be highly unusual for someone to dump a calf in this area. Everyone knows everyone else.

So, I crept up to the place where the tracks led, dreading what I might find. From afar I could see it was white and fuzzy.


A closer look revealed a deceased cat which appeared to be part Siamese, cause of death unknown.

Now, why would someone dump off a cat not only in a tree row, but practically in someone's yard? There are so many other places to put a cat I just couldn't figure it out.

I went ahead and buried the poor thing. The only conclusion I could come to was that they saw the barn and perhaps the poor cat was at least partially alive. Unable to care for it, they placed it where it could see the barn, hoping it would crawl off there and die. Fortunately for my two barn kitties, it didn't make it.

Needless to say, a perimeter fence with a locked gate just moved up a few notches on my farm improvement list.


Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you might find when you get home,
Photobucket

2 comments:

Nicole said...

OMG, seriously! That is a little odd! Both the cat and the dead calf!

My parents have tire marks in their drive all the time but they live on an outter road to the interstate and semi's use it to turn around in ALL the time. It's annoying!

Jessie said...

It is odd to me still! Honestly, even though I felt bad for the cat, I was glad it wasn't anything bigger. It could have been much worse. I halfway expected a headless poached deer (it's happened).

Isn't it weird how some people assume that private property is theirs to use at will? That would annoy me! When my dad lived out here he said that people would drive up into the place to try to find cover for their cars during a hail storm, then leave huge ruts in the lawn.

Some gates are definitely going up soon.