Monday, March 30, 2009

March 2009 Blizzard/Ice Storm

I thought I'd post a few pics of the snow/ice we got. It's not nearly as impressive as our friends to the west, but while they got a ton of snow (my dad reported 10 FOOT drifts on the road to my grandma's house--north of Pratt--she won't be able to get out and to town for days), we had a different problem. All day long Saturday it rained and sleeted. The horses were absolutely miserable. I tried to bring them into some make-shift pens in the barn but they would have none of it. I did manage to get Empress and Paula in, but it took the poor babies all day long to figure out if they went down into the trees they'd have some shelter and windblock. They got tons of extra hay and yesterday were as fine as ever. I really MUST make getting some pasture shelters built a priority before next winter. What a mess.


Anyway, now that I've confessed my guilt over my poor cold horses, here are some pics from yesterday morning, before it all melted away. This is the ice piled up against the door once I was finally able to get it open. There is a floor mat underneath there.....
Oh, by the way, Samson is now bigger than Charlie....
What the yard looked like. It was a complete layer of ice with a little snow mixed in. Thankfully it all melted away only a few hours later. We needed the moisture, so I am happy about that, but I just wish it had been a little more snow and a little less ice....

Samson and Sophie were having fun, though....

See that circle of rocks? That's my rose garden. My poor little rose bushes were just starting to bloom. I put a blanket over them but only time will tell if it was enough to save them. In the meantime, Sophie looks like she's had enough--she was not built for this weather! :)

No comments: