Sunday, March 13, 2011

Coming Along....

First of all, my apologies to everyone for not posting as often as I usually do. My schedule has been thrown for a loop and I've had bad back issues lately, so I've been trying refrain from sitting so I can hopefully heal more quickly--there's so much to be done in the days ahead! I plan on going back and reading all the blog posts I've missed as well, so don't think I'm dropped off the face of the earth entirely--just temporarily :)

Second, I decided to call the new puppy "Evie." It seems to fit her. I also already have a nickname for her--"Muppet." My animals always end up with an extra name...or five.


All weekend has been pretty quiet. Sort of like this:

Now I know what they did all day while I was at work!

Friday I also got my second shelter delivered. Here are some before and after photos:

This week I'm going to work on scheduling someone to come out and dig some post holes for me (I really don't want to do them all by hand if I can keep from it) and ordering the fencing. It will be really nice to get it all set up for the horses to use!

My chicks are doing super well, so I went ahead and spent the money on a few bantam chicks. When I checked out I found out they were on sale! I'll have to take a few pictures of them tomorrow and share. One is especially cute--a very tiny all-gray chick with a "hairdo." I have no idea what kind he/she is, but if he/she gets eaten by a hawk I will be especially sad. That's one very cute chick!

I figured out that I do have a couple of black Cochin bantams and one of them is probably a rooster. I also did end up with a Buff Orphington in the first batch. It will be interesting to see which ones thrive the best in this area. I'll be working on the coop soon, along with getting the garage roof done and then the sheep shed and barn will be torn down.

Oh, and of course I've been searching for the right job. I'm excited about a couple of prospects. Keep your fingers crossed for me! And despite the fact that I came home today to a hail/thundersnow storm, things are looking very bright, my friends.

7 comments:

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I love buff orpingtons! They are the sweetest chickens ever. We call ours "Goldie" - so original, I know. I've missed you - glad it's just a temporary out of action.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad to hear you've got a few interesting prospects for a job. Fingers crossed for you.

I'm sure the horses will love their new sheds. Definitely hire someone to dig those holes, your back may not be able to take the strain.

Have fun figuring out what kind of chicks you've got. I'm not too big on chicks so no help here.

Grey Horse Matters said...

p.s. I forgot Evie is an adorable name for an adorable pup. By the expression on her face she looks very sweet.

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

What - you don't want to get your p.h.d.? ;) Hate hate hate post hole digging. If you're vertically challenged you have no leverage and it kills your upper back - good idea to farm that task out.

Evie is precious - can't wait to see chick photos :)

Jessie said...

Annette, I'm really starting to like the Buff Orphington, too. She is definitely the quietest one :)

Arlene, thanks for keeping up the hope for me on the job front. It will be nice to find something soon. I miss working already! Thank you, too, about Evie. She's really a great little dog.

That is so funny--PHD! I'd think I'd earned it already LOL. I don't mind digging a few of them and I'm 5'8" so a few doesn't hurt my back too bad, but this is all along the entire north side and also a dividing fenceline. It's just way too much, plus I want to get it done so the horses can use the shelters! :)

Nicole said...

Do you know why they call a Chicken house with 2 doors a Coupe? B/c if it had 4 doors they'd have to call it a Sadan... :)

juliette said...

Good luck with the job search, but with sweet animals sleeping in a adorable circle together like that I wouldn't be in such a hurry to leave!

I sent that photo to my daughter Maizie and husband Brian. TOO CUTE!

I love the new shelters and cute chicks (I read ahead!) Life looks good from here - enjoy!