Friday, March 18, 2011

The Smokehouse Conversion

Today was (comparitively) cold and windy, so I spent a lot of time inside on my job search and only a little time getting things done on the farm. I did, however, get the Smokehouse (aka, future temporary chicken coop) cleaned out.

I didn't take a very good "before" picture, but it was so dirty that I didn't even know it had a cement floor! Eventually I'll have a patio back here and it will be used to store patio items during the winter (like the grill and cushions) but for now it will house my little chicks.

I also tried my hand at building a roost from scratch today. I was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. I just need to secure it to the wall now.

Since I ended up with a total of 16 chicks and I now know I can actually build it, I'll make a second one to put in here, so they all have plenty of room.

I also plan on making eight nesting boxes from the scrap wood we have lying around. The nesting boxes will go in this corner here.

I was really eggstatic to see how it all cleaned up and how much room there will be for the chickens. Eventually they'll be moved to the far north end of my shade garden, but for now, this will be where they come home to roost.

Working to take this place from fowl to fabulous,


Grey Horse Matters said...

Great clean up job and roost making. You're a talented girl. The first thing I thought of when the title was 'smokehouse conversion' was that you were going to make a tack room out of it. Glad you found a good use and the chicks will have a comfy home to roost in.

juliette said...

Very cool! You did a great job cleaning it out - it looks perfect. Your chickens will love it, I am sure!

Nicole said...

You are so clever and witty!