Wednesday, June 3, 2009

3AM Post

No, I'm really not this dedicated to my blog.... Not that I don't love blogging, especially when people comment and email me on their own scenarios--it's really been a lot of fun, much more than I ever expected, when I started this little project as a substitution for my pro website I had.

No, I just can't sleep. Like every other animal owner, I'm faced with making decisions that are difficult but no matter how they may affect me (or them) emotionally, these are things that ultimately are for the good of these wonderful creatures we get the great honor of spending time with, even if it's just for a few short months. Sometimes the right thing to do is the most difficult, but if you speak with any responsible, loving pet or horse owner, you'll find that we all take it on as just part of the territory, right? Right.... Still doesn't make it any easier to sleep, unfortunately.

I suppose I could make myself up a cosmo or pomogranite martini to help me sleep, but I think instead I'll think about the good part of owning animals--those times when you just sit back and watch them do their thing--how amazing or funny or just plain entertaining they are, all on their own, without even trying because they enjoy life so very much.

Saturday evening, JJ and Sophie were enjoying life very much....



She starts by egging him on (such a scrappy lil gal!)...



JJ's moves remind me so much of his daddy when he plays with the dogs.


Really? You really want to try me??


Sophie might be scrappy, but she's not quite tenacious enough to take on the Moose.


But wait, maybe she is?


Guess not!


But she circles back around, never one to be called a chicken.


JJ looks so worried, doesn't he? Check out that back foot just resting. He has so much fun with her, pushing her buttons, getting her goat.

They do this almost every night anymore. I'll hear Sophie barking and they're out there playing together, having a good time and completely oblivious to the problems in the world. They don't look very worried about the economy, war, whether things are going well at work, or if they can get all their bills paid this month. All they know is life and for the time being they both seem to enjoy theirs. Truth is I look up to them and although I can't do much about having these responsiblities, they can teach me that I can set aside those thoughts and learn to enjoy life itself a little more....

6 comments:

knoyes said...

Awwww, I know you are struggling. And the choice to just soak up the joys of animal ownership is a good one! The very fact that your critters have a full belly and not a care in the world is the very reason that I know things are good right now. Not a good time in you life in one way, but PLEASE, see the positive in what you are trying to do. There is one grand lady that way more than appreciates who and what you are. You have my number, call if you just need to chat.....

Jessie said...

Thanks so much Kim. I always appreciate your kind words :) I'm really ok, but unfortunately I'm just not a strong enough person emotionally to not let things like this effect myself physically. My upper back (not where I was injured before, so it's not serious) is in terrible knots and I just kept waking up all night. It's nothing I can control or do anything about--I've never been a very strong or brave person although I wish I knew how to be, but I can certainly choose to draw positive energy in to make me feel better, and enjoy the things that really do make me happy, like watching the "kids" play, or laughing at your attacking turkey stories :)))

knoyes said...

Well, I think you are plenty strong, but the sensitive side of you makes you need to be certian of your decisions.....sometimes strength is not all it is cut out to be. You are doing the right thing and it will be tough, but also will help heal your soul..... and those dang turkeys are gonna help as well! By the way, they weathered the storms last night just fine and are out and about in the pasture again today!

Jessie said...

I'm so glad the kids are doing great and Dressing is teaching them the ways of the world, including how to tackle approaching broodmares ROFL!!!
I hope my tom is as handsome as his daddy :) I'll have to think up a couple of good names--hard to beat yours!!

Jessie said...

I almost forgot, I went to the feed store to pick up oats last night and found myself looking at poultry supplements. I can't ever control myself! LOL!!

knoyes said...

OMG!!!!! I don't feed them any supplements.....do I need to? Maybe their feathers could be shinier and setting was tough on Dressing, she needs some weight. I need More Muscle or something like that for the little side dishes...they could be bigger already! I have been abusing and neglecting my turkey flock! Do you think that they test on the turkey show circiut? I am thinking about steroids for them.......