Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hay Day

Yesterday was a pretty busy day. I had to run to Kansas City to pick up a part to get my car fixed, back down to Amsterdam and had the guys there work on it (I just can't say enough good things about those guys--down to earth, honest, and CHEAP) and hauled enough water to top off the cistern in the house. I also made some Asiago pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, but that's for another post....

Today was all about the hay. I managed to finally find someone to deliver roundbales of PURE brome and got them set into two of the pens. Once that was taken care of, it was time to go to Butler again to pick up some more alfalfa.

Sophie loves to go for a ride. It doesn't matter where we're going! Notice Sophie wears workclothes, too. She has good clothes, but picking up hay is a workclothes sort of situation....



On the way there I noticed that many local farmers still have not cut beans. I wonder if they're any good? I wonder if that means soy oil will be going up?

I always splash a bit of soy oil on the horses' feed. It gives them some extra fat and calories.

We got to Butler, loaded up the hay and got back on our way. The bales are super-heavy this time and he still thinks he'll get another cutting--great news!

On the way back I noticed that unlike beans, the corn seems to be doing well and harvest is underway.
At this point in our trip the novelty of "going" has worn off and the kids are ready to get home.

There's no going back. Fall is here (actually, it seems we skipped fall and winter is here)!

The grass is browning up, horses blanketed and standing at the roundbale. Yep, I'd say winter is pretty much here....

I got the hay unloaded, horses grained and the rest of my chores done. Once I got inside I could see out my kitchen window...

JJ seems pretty content--blanket, all the brome he could want and a belly full of grain. I had such a hectic weekend, but a sight like this makes every second worth it :)

No comments: