Saturday, October 24, 2009

An Amazing Rescue

Today was a good day. It was fairly nice out. I got a lot of weeding done that I had gotten behind on while my back was out. Then I got my car back. I think (knock on wood) after 2 weeks of sorting out the mysterious issues with the brakes that is could perhaps, finally, maybe be fixed!

Then I got to ride Paula. She hates sitting around not doing anything (she always starts pacing when she's bored) so we were both looking forward to getting back to work. The girl has a memory like a steel trap! She picked up right where we left off and we got even further today in our training. I hope we can do it again tomorrow. The battery was dead in my camera, so if the weather cooperates I'll get some video of her moving tomorrow.

In the meantime, I want to share the story of a horse I've been following out in California. This rescue is amazing--they have the right attitude in that they do rescue all types but they really concentrate their rehab efforts on horses that can be saved. The horses that are too far gone, have too many problems and a poor quality of life they humanely euthanize. The hold euthanasia and gelding clinics. If I ever started a rescue I would model it after these guys. They do GREAT work.

Here is the story of Phoenix, a horse that for all intensive purposes SHOULD be dead. How he was alive, in this condition, is anyone's guess. Gumption would be my guess!! Here is his story:



I never have and never will understand how people can allow animals to starve right in front of them. I've looked into the eyes of people who do this and it doesn't tell me anything. They always have excuses. They always minimalize the damage (aka, "Sorry she's a 'little' thin"). They never miss a meal themselves. This was not a sick horse. This was not a stressed or otherwise compromised horse. This was just an UNFED horse.

He sure is gorgeous now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thats a happy ending. That gelding was in way better shape than my ol mare Naigen was. Like you said, there was no reason why the horse was skinny other than not being fed. She was a great little horse with more heart than any horse I have met.