Friday, October 23, 2009

Oh Give Me a Home...

Actually, it's always been "home," no matter where I've lived. I've always been a jayhawker, a sunflower girl, and a prairie punk. I was born in Kansas, and God willing, I'll be buried in Kansas. Everything else in between is the adventure, oui?

So, starting at the end of November, I will be saying goodbye to the great divide and heading back to the sandhills of central Kansas.

It's been a difficult decision to make, but rest assured, Kansas City, I will be back to visit. You will always have a place in my heart and your barbeque will always have a place in my stomach.

(that didn't sound quite right)

I'm moving back home, because it's the right thing to do. Luckily, there is a bit of a boom in the area because of these things:

They fascinate me.

I won't be moving in with Dad, though. He's remodeling his house. This is his house:

It's been updated a bit since then, but trust me, it does still need a little remodeling. It's gutted right now. I can't wait until it's finished--it will be a gorgeous, lovely, big, beautiful house.

Then I hope when I get my own little ancient farmstead, he can take everything he's learned and help me remodel my own house. Isn't that what dads are for?

...hey, HE suggested it! :)

I'm actually staying with a good friend (which is a gigantic understatement--she is my savior, really) of mine for a little while. I don't think she knows what she's gotten herself into, taking in this crazy blonde chic and her crew of rascally misfits.

All I can say is thank God she hasn't realized it yet. I'm really looking forward to being "home."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are getting some turbines. Where theres turbines theres the anti wind farm people. They run around slandering green turbine energy with their false statements that are not scientifically backed up (or not by recent research relevant to the models of turbines they use today)

Jessie said...

OMG, that is too funny! Maybe they're cousins to the Phelps (those people that protest every single event and link it to homosexuality somehow). I hope we get some protestors here--how funny!!!

I love these things. Clean energy and a minimal use of space. I'll drive down the road and see the cows grazing underneath them like they're just giant trees. When you can harvest wind AND a crop in the same field, I can't imagine what there would be to protest about.

Here in Kansas City a park had way too many deer so they had to do an organized hunt. They had protestors at the gates pouring "blood" all over themselves and yelling "stop the slaughter!" All I could think of was these people needed some REAL jobs! It's the same park I got lyme disease at, so they really did need to cut down on the deer-it was unhealthy for everyone in that park, including the deer!

Of course no one protests anything actually important, like Missouri being the 5th highest state in the nation for child mortality due to abuse. I guess the guy who is accused of the latest one had been arrested before for child abuse. Now there's a cause I could back and would gladly picket for--tougher punishment and longer sentences for child abusers!!