Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Texas Times

I've been trying to organize some of my photos and I stumbled across these. I had quite a learning experience in Texas, and some of my fondest memories are of my horses and Layla now that they are all either living elsewhere or have crossed that rainbow bridge.

Rita and Penny would usually start the ado...



Then Eddie and Ringo would join in.


Eddie always has to do his stop, spin and pose.


Layla would always want to join in on the fun. She loved it when the horses ran.


Even good old Larry would join in the fun. Eddie would once again snort and pose for the camera. This was HIS herd and he wanted it to look like it!


Eventually everyone started to wear out. Ringo would always run beside the sorrel girls, although his momma was Larry. He liked to pose with the halter-bred mares.


Larry...she looked so wonderful down there.


In such good health. Hard to believe a few months after this picture was taken she left on lease and her and her baby were gone and her daughter was the only one I got back alive, severely emaciated.


It's amazing how fast one heartless person can destroy the things you love most. The only thing that gives me comfort is that Larry had a chance for a good life while I had her. She was always well fed and cared for when she was in my possession. For now that is the only comfort I have. I will always cherish those days we went riding out in the fields. She was such a fun horse to ride.

I also miss a horse that wasn't mine. This is Anakin. He was my favorite horse to fit. He was very sensitive and insisted that he get to know you before he'd automatically trust you, but once he "met" you he'd do anything in the world for you. Here was just when we started fitting.


And this picture was taken when he was fit up for show. He was such a pretty boy (and I'm sure still is). Anakin is a very special boy. I hope he's living a very good life right now--he certainly deserves it!

No comments: