Saturday, October 10, 2009

My Old Farmhouse Table

I'm still here, alive and kicking....kicking quite a bit this week, actually. Life has been quite hectic, and after a week like the one I had (in part thanks to December weather arriving in early October) I like to slow down and appreciate the little things in life.

This table is one of those little things.


As I've mentioned before, I'm redecorating my office. I sold the huge (although gorgeous) armoire and used the money to get a few things taken care of and I'm replacing it with some garage-sale finds for a fraction of the price (and I think improving the space significantly). I hope to be able to post some results of this effort tomorrow. However, this table was supposed to be part of that effort, yet it's found a home in my kitchen instead.


When I found the listing on craigslist, the dimensions were perfect to be a printer table in my office. It was only $20, so the price was definitely right!

When I saw it in person, though, there was no way this puppy was ever going to see a stroke of paint....


The man who had it was from Denmark. He brought it over with him. He was moving back and couldn't take everything back with him, was his reason for selling it. I couldn't believe he'd put a beautiful antique like this on craigslist, let alone for $20!

You can see it's all peg construction, hand-turned legs and it has a plank-wood top. It's pine and has years of worm-holes in the wood. Even the knob on the drawer is the original peg-handled drawer. Through some research I've found out it is indicative of an 1860's Scandinavian farmhouse table.

I can say it--I'm in love. Next to my platform rocker I found in the delapidated school house, this might just be my greatest antique find. This table has found a home with me now, and is here to stay, and is now a permanent fixture in this household.

Much like a certain little munchkin....

2 comments:

Jess said...

We have several great tables I wouldn't trade for the world. NOTHING beats a classic, robust table with a little wear and tear. I agree that you table looks Scandinavian! We recently purchased a new table from <a href="https://www.vermontfarmtable.com>Vermont Farm Table</a> and found out this guy also collections original farm tables. They are not shown on the site but its worth asking about. Great site!

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool site you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Kate Hakkinen