Saturday, October 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Chris!!!

Today was my little brother's birthday. He's 15 years old.


(future politician)

Man, how time flies! It doesn't seem that long ago that he was just learning to talk, or I'd go visit everyone in Colorado and he'd sit in the back seat of my car singing a new song his teacher taught him.

Four years ago Chris visited me when I lived out in central Kansas. First, we went to go see all the mares out in the pasture.


You mean I can touch this one? Right here?

Mercedes was napping, but she's a sweetheart so she stood perfectly still while my city-boy brother messed with her.


Sleep, sleep, beast. You are in my power and will listen only to me.....

Heartmelter alert! Chris, my baby brother, giving Mercedes a huge hug.


Awwwwww......

Chris decides to put his horse-hypnotist skills to work with Sugar.


You will fall into a deep sleep....


Even Sassy (Lady) behind him seemed under his power!

Now it was time to put his horse-hypnotist skills to work on Buns.


Sleep.....when you awake you will cluck like a chicken.


No cluck.

Well, maybe he needs to be in the same pen with her to hypnotize her?


Bunny, you must yield to my power!


And the force is with him.

Chris had never ridden a horse before so we saddle up Larry, my trusty lesson horse and all-round great mare. Paula was still nursing, only a couple of months old here. Ringo (Colton) was in her belly. Can you see him? :)


Chris held Larry for me while Layla and Paula looked on. He was keeping an eye on that sly Paula!

Now for the following, do NOT try this at home. We were very wrong in not sizing up stirrups and not putting Chris in cowboy boots and a helmet. But, despite this being a very good example in how NOT to give a first riding lesson, I had to share. Chris did so well and Larry was so incredibly dependable. It's just too nice of a story not to share....


Even Layla is in this one. God, I miss my girls, but this picture sure makes me smile. Such good times....

We started off walking on the lungeline, but it wasn't long into the ride when Chris decided he knew enough to ride off on his own.


Larry was the greatest kid's horse you could ever ask for. Chris was a natural horseman and Paula just followed right along!

Until Larry decided she'd just ease her way over towards where the other mares were standing. Sunny is there in the fly mask...

I'm yelling, "Chris, turn her around. If you don't make her do it she's going to do whatever she wants! Get those reins shortened! Outside leg, inside rein! Let go of that horn!"

Then I realized this was the very first time he had ever ridden a horse.

But they did it! Chris got his cues together and Larry figured out what this newbie was asking. What a team!

Good job everyone!!!

Whew, I survived!

Maybe he should go back to horse-hypnotizing?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that his first ride was bitless. Perhaps horses runs in your family. My sister and I are 11 years apart but we couldnt be more different. Shes so girly, girl and I am so...not. We are both really hard workers though.