Thursday, October 15, 2009

Buffalo Tacos

Remember a little earlier when I asked what this


and this

had in common?

Well, I got some pretty interesting guesses (things I would have never thought of in my life :) but this is actually what I was hinting at: Buffalo Tacos.

I love buffalo meat. I love the flavor of it and it holds spices so well. Problem was I had the hardest time coming up with a proper recipe for buffalo tacos. So often it just didn't go together quite right. The seasoning just didn't compliment the meat.

Well, after many tries I finally found out that simple is best. I thought I'd share the recipe that I felt finally suited buffalo meat the best.

First, brown up some ground buffalo meat. I also add a bit of salt and pepper.

You might had to add a bit of water as buffalo meat is very lean. Try not to let it get too dry.

Then chop up a couple of jalapenos and some onion to taste.


Of course the more seeds you leave in the jalapenos, the hotter it will be. Strip all the seeds out before chopping if you want a mild dish. I wanted this to have a little kick, so I left them all in.


Once the buffalo is almost browned, add the chopped onion and jalapeno.


Stir and let it simmer for a while. Add more water if needed. It's very important not to let it dry out.


While that's simmering, warm up some tortillas. Once the onion has gone clear and all the ingredients are sufficiently cooked and combined, put a nice pile of the buffalo mixture in the center of a warm tortilla.

I'll try not to use the term "pile" next to "buffalo" again.

And by the way, I do have regular plates. They are pretty and dainty--not very adequate for a hearty, rustic meal like this. OK, if you don't buy that then fine--I was just too lazy to do dishes that night.

Add some cheese and let it melt in on its own. This is montery jack, but use your favorite kind.


Then add lettuce, a bit of chopped cilantro and your favorite ready-made taco sauce.

Sour cream is heaven on this, too, but I was out that night.

I promise to someday share my homemade taco sauce recipe, but since this isn't really a food blog and I'm definitely no great cook, I need to stretch out the recipes as long as I can.

In the meantime, I hope you try this one out. I love it and it's great reheated (very handy for us single cowgirls). Enjoy!!

4 comments:

knoyes said...

You do the neatest thing!! I love this one and would love to try it...where do you get your buffalo meat? Can you come over when my house gets done and cook these for me??? Please? Pretty Please?

Jessie said...

I get the buffalo meat at the grocery store in KC, but it's hit and miss. Hen House usually has a little side freezer filled with different buffalo cuts. I want to try to get some from the buffalo farms around here, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Of course I'll come over and cook these for you in your new kitchen!!! :)) I'd be honored to!

knoyes said...

Hummmmm, I love different meats, being a poor kid from the south! Only thing that I know I don't like is possum, now, that is NASTY!
I have had buffalo, but not at home to cook with and this has intrigued me. I will try and e-mail you later this evening, are you hanging in there? Love Ya

Jessie said...

Yeah, sorry, I won't be having any possum recipes anytime soon!! LOL!! I would like to find out my grandma's venison steak recipe. I always loved going over to grandma's house after grandpa got his deer for the season. :)

I'm hanging in there. Some big changes, but the for better are in store, I believe. I will have to email you soon to let you in on all the details. I'm still trying to get things sorted through to make sure.... Life always goes on and we surely have lots of good times ahead!!! :)))