Friday, October 30, 2009

What I Want (Grown-Up Edition)

Not all that long ago I would have seen a trailer like this, wiped the drool from my mouth and said something along the lines of:

"When I win the lottery...." or

"Someday...." or

"Man, I'd love to have something like that!"


When I worked as a show barn manager down in Texas on a huge, lovely, expensive place with everything a person could want in it (including a heated show barn with automatic waterers and an attached, covered arena) the girl I worked with played the lottery often and she'd ask me what I'd buy if I won the jackpot (which I play once, maybe twice a year is all).

She always said she'd buy a huge ranch, or an island, her own airport, a mansion and things like that, hire people to cook and clean for her, etc.

I always said I wanted a little old farmhouse with 20 or so acres, a small little truck and trailer that was safe and useable, and a little car to toodle around in. Of course a barn and a covered place to ride would be nice, but I'd never want anything as big and fancy as where I worked--it took 4 full-time people to take care of everything!

She was a lot younger than I am and not all that long ago I would have said I wanted a place like the one I was at, with all the amenities. Funny how when we are young we look at those grand things and assume that they would make us happy, but life teaches us about the things that truly make us happy.

Experiences make me happy. Being with my friends and family make me happy. My animals make me happy. I think I'd be able to have lots of fun experiences with my friends and family and animals with this:


It's a 2-horse slant gooseneck. They only want $5500 or so for it. If I had my act together right now, had my car and truck paid off, this would be a cinch to get!

It doesn't have living quarters or anything, but I need to keep my 1/2 ton so it would haul this perfectly as is, and I'd still have a place to sleep when traveling....



It's brand new, and the boards even run the right way!

What's the "right" way you ask? Well, my dad has this weird belief that he passed along to me, that if something were to happen and a board give out in the trailer then if they're running this way it's a lot safer for the horse to be able to shift it's weight and not fall though, like if they were running from side to side. I know that makes no sense--if a board gives out it's awful all-round, so the best one can do is make sure their floor stays clean and dry and check it before each haul, but still, now, I can't buy a trailer with the floor going from side to side. It has to be back to back.

Weird, I know....

Isn't it pretty, though?! This is on my goals list. I'm taking a risk in moving, but thankfully the way things have progressed it seems meant to be. My work is keeping me on as a consultant for a while, so the scariest part, being unemployed, I don't have to worry about. My dream is to get a job similar to the one I had--challenging, but flexible, yet be able to live out closer to my family and friends (thank you again Dar!!!).

Perhaps one day soon I will find my little farmhouse on my little acreage and be able to get a nice little trailer like this one :)

1 comment:

knoyes said...

Ahhhhh, you get life my dear! Parts of me wish that I had opted to build a nice little cabin and saved a ton of money that this house is costing, but that is not wise at my age, I don't need to live in a cabin when I am old I don't think. Anyway, you are well on your way to the good life, but just knowing what it is! That is why Brian and I always lived in this trailer, cheap, but nice and let us do other things.....take care, you sound great!

Kim