Sunday, July 26, 2009

Saturday Follow-Up

As much trouble as I had last weekend, this weekend has more than made up for it in good fortune. While today is still early so I should be knocking on wood, throwing some salt over my shoulder, and watching out for any black cats, yesterday was a pretty darned good day.


It started out going down to Rhodes Paint Horses near Mound City, KS. It was only a 20 mile or so drive, so I felt ok with running down there with the trailer, although I had yet to get my tires all fixed (sigh). I ended up working late all week, so that left no time to take care of these things.

So I went through Amsterdam.


No, not that Amsterdam, this Amsterdam.



And along the way I went by "The Barn," a local mechanic's shop and they happen to be open. I saw lots of tires and rims out front, so I turned the rig around and stopped in to see if they had a tire and rim I could buy for a spare for the trailer.

They did, and I also got a replacement tire for my truck (those 17" tires are so flipp'n expensive). They mounted and balanced the tire for me, put it on my truck, and loaded up both my truck spare and new trailer spare all for $80!! I was absolutely thrilled! A new 17" tire alone is well over $100, so I was very happy to find a good place to buy some used tires very reasonably. In a perfect world I'd have enough money to buy a brand new set of 4 tires, but when you're running a farm on a single income (and recovering from some significant economic setbacks over the past two years), you do what you have to to get you by.... All in all, though, it was great luck to find that place!

So, I went on down to Angela's from there to look at her beautiful show horses and this little girl.


"Glory" (registered as The Magic Question) is practically blue-blood. She looks a little rough, having been weaned AND went through the strangles we've been battling, but it's easy to see her overall structure is still very, very nice.

Her sire, Almighty, earned 28 APHA halter points in his short career (cut short by a stifle injury). He was a 2004 Honor Roll Leader and got 6th at APHA World in 2004. I've always loved this guy and he is now owned by my wonderful friend Darlene Worthington (Painted Prairie Farm-see link at left). Almighty's sire is the all-time leading APHA halter sire Mighty Awesome, and his dam is a multiple-champion producing daughter of the legendary Page Impressive, and out of a Do Do Chick daughter (some TERRIFIC west-coast breeding here).

Plus, Almighty has a great mind. Here Stana, 16 years old, is handling him. Can't beat a stallion with a show record, great looks, great breeding, AND a great mind!


Glory's momma, Molly, was raised by Rhodes Paint Horses. She's a daughter of Superior Halter stallion Dontcha Luv Magic.

Molly has a great production record, with an APHA World placer,


APHA Congress Reserve Champion,


and an APHA pleasure point earner!

So Glory came home with me. We're keeping her "in the family" so to speak. Truth be told, I wanted an Almighty baby so bad I couldn't hardly stand it. It's a LOT cheaper for me to adopt Glory (thanks so much Angela, for giving her to me, PLUS kindly providing some feed for her as well as did all her registration, shots, etc--so thoughtful of you!!), than to breed one of my mares and wait for something that I might end up losing anyway. I was incredibly impressed with Glory's temperament. Not only is she a high-quality filly, but she's VERY level-headed, calm, and forgiving. I need a lesson horse in the worst way, and while it will take a while, that's her future here. Having lost Larry left a big hole in my program and Paula will never have the patience that Larry did. I really believe Glory will, and she'll be a show-quality so I can take my students to local shows with her. I think she'll be very useful in my program :)

Here she is in the foreground, getting settled in and getting to know Bambi:


I got this shot of Laramie playing last night. Silly girl!!

Laramie has an abscess growing on the SIDE of her jaw now, darned the luck, so I'm pretty much counting out the 5-star this year. I hate to, but it doesn't seem meant to be. I'd better get things in order, anyway, and we can start showing early next year. It wasn't all for nothing, though, because Laramie and I have really gotten to bond, and she's come along by leaps and bounds in her training. We'll be CONTENDERS next year!! :)

So, today, I got a few more pictures for follow-up. Charlie enjoys staying inside during the day. He digs the A/C.

The boys after breakfast. JJ is feeling much better, now--thanks to everyone who wished him well. He sure took the strangles hard.


One more thing I had to show on today's post, is Bambi and Glory all settled in. Thankfully they took to each other and are out enjoying the pasture.


No, I didn't use special effects...


They really are almost the same height!


Glory is a decent size--not huge like her sis Ellie was but she is probably taller than average. But....poor Bambi....she really is a shrimp! LOL I love her, though, and I don't care--in my old age I'll need a horse easy to get on. I sure hope Bambi doesn't develop a complex, though. She's a little hard on poor Glory, and who knows if that's why. Don't worry Bambi, good things come in small packages :)

**Side note, if anyone has a weanling fly mask they can loan me just for the rest of this summer, please contact me. I don't want to buy one since I'm not raising any babies anytime soon. Or I can trade some older tack for one. Let me know. Thanks!!

No comments: