Sunday, September 13, 2009

Take'n Care of Business

I got a lot accomplished this weekend, considering I still hurt somewhat and I got yet another flat (sigh).  I got all the horses, save Patience, caught up on their farrier work and groomed.  Patience still needs to be worked with on picking up her feet and tying, so we'll work on that through the week and see if I can't get her trimmed up here in the next few weeks. 

While I had JJ tied up waiting for his trim I switched the horses around and left Patience in with the girls so she wasn't lonely without JJ.  I can't wait to get him gelded so they can all go out together.


Laramie (left) is almost as big as Paula now.  Bambi (right) is still such a shortie....

Dakota enjoyed the new area as well.  Sophie thought about stalking them, but she's learning and stopped at the fenceline.



Bambi stuck around up front for a bit, cleaning up what JJ had left behind (he is a really picky eater--obviously Bambi isn't!).


Once she had cleaned up all the leftover alfalfa, Bambi joined the other girls out grazing.


Charlie was out there keeping an eye on those girls.  You never know what kind of shenanigans they'll get into.


Not sure why Paula was herding Laramie around briefly, but poor Sophie wanted to join in so badly. She's being a good girl, though, and we only had to have a "time-out" once this weekend.  She's a pretty smart little girl.  Problem is she has the attention span of a fruit fly....


The girls...


Laramie, time for your picture--now close your eyes.


She does keep them open, but only for very awkward shots in which Bambi tries to steal the show.

There's my girls!


And the boy....  JJ needs more weight.  It bugs me so bad that he's not as fleshy as the others.  I think it's time to do a power pac on him and I'm going to see if I can swing getting his teeth done when we get him gelded.  He's only a yearling, but once in a while a yearling will need a bit of dental work.  I'll have the vet take a look in any case. He's healthy, but should be a lot heavier than what he is.

Oh, and please ignore the rusty trailer.  I've got a quote for the welding work on it. I'm going to get it all fixed up, or just get a newer trailer early next spring.  For now, it's basically a tie post, so just pretend that rust isn't there.

Just pretend it's an aluminum 3-horse slant gooseneck. Maybe if we all pretend hard enough, it will appear!

And no,  I didn't double my meds today.  Why do you ask?

2 comments:

Vectormom said...

I love reading your blog. It has a rhythm to it almost. I'm glad you started the post on the legs. I always enjoy seeing the progression of things such as that. I haven't been reading long but I gather you're a farrier. Any information on the hoof, good, bad, or ugly, is always interesting. Of course, the mundane and comfortable musings of day to day life is also good. Thanx for your blog!

Jessie said...

Thank you so much! What a wonderful compliment :) I've had so much more fun blogging than I ever imagined I would. It just started as a way to let my friends and family know what I was up to and it's just grown from there!

I'm actually not a "real" farrier. I've never been to farrier school, but am self-taught through neccessity (had NO reliable farrier options in central Kansas) and now I'm just a student of all things equine-care related. I try to read and learn as much as I can, and hopefully by sharing some of what I've learned through trial, error, and research, I can inspire others to learn as much about their horses as well!

Thanks again so much!