Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Habits

I was emailing a good friend of mine today and we've been discussing the cold, hard reality of the current horse market situation. The reality is that dreams of once taking one of our babies to World, or selling our foals to show homes--enough to pay our own way to some shows and promote our stallions are never going to come to fruition for us, at least in the near future. The reality is that there will be no more foals for sometime, because right now it's a struggle to even give a horse a way--and even a good one, at that (unless you don't care what kind of home they go to).

It got me thinking on the way home today, that so many things we do develop out of pure habit. Often times we justify these habits to the point where we do so subconsciously. A smoker says they won't quit because they're afraid of gaining weight. A gambler might say that that's the only thing they do--it's their only form of entertainment so they deserve it. I know I often tell myself to go ahead and have that cookie--I'll take the stairs at work (and then I don't LOL).

If you take a good look at what our horse activities consist of, and then take a look at the market, it begs the question:

Just how many excuses are we using to justify horse activities that have become habits?

A few years ago, I spent hours on the computer, looking for horses to trade for or purchase that would improve my herd. I knew every sale website, how each advanced search worked for the best results and I would know what horses were available in my area at all times, and often have at least one in some stage of negotiation. Simply put, it was an obsession. I had to have the very best mares I could get my hands on, and in a lot of ways that obsession and research paid off--I have some foals I am very happy with because of it.

But when I decided to place my broodmares, although I lived in a one-bedroom apartment in Kansas City, I found it difficult NOT to look at sale sites. There was no chance I could buy or trade for any horse at all. What was I going to do--keep it on my third floor balcony? It took months for me to not access Dreamhorse everyday. What was I doing? What was I thinking? It became clear to me: looking for horses had become a habit.

I think in many ways, breeding, or at least that breeding program mentality, can easily become a habit. I still find myself seeing a stallion I really like and immediately my mind goes to which one of my girls would he be the best cross on. It shouldn't be surprising that after years of intense study of bloodlines, conformation, proven crosses and genetics that we've in fact trained ourselves to immediately go to that place--that "must breed something great" place.

In speaking to another friend, she expressed how odd and even depressing it would be to not be expecting any foals next spring. As a breeder, the thought of not having any foals coming in the spring is like telling a 5 year old in November that there will be no Christmas this year. It's a odd combination of panic, depression, and disappointment. It's almost as though having foals every spring becomes a habit.

Like anyone else who has horses on a professional or semi-professional basis, it's good to have a business plan for your horses. In fact, the IRS demands a business plan if you file taxes and claim expenses for your business. The plan has to include a way for the business to be profitable, so many of us have centered our business plan around breeding.

However, what happens when breeding horses becomes not only not profitable, but detrimental to one's business? Much like the auto industry cranking out automobiles that no one purchases, the horse industry continues to create more horses in an already flooded market. It's a simple issue of supply and demand. The demand has waned, yet the supply flow remains steady. Why do we continue to produce foals when there is no market for them?

Simple answer: out of habit. It's very easy to justify this habit: "I want to prove my stallion." "I will keep and show my babies." "I need to have at least one foal this spring." "Things will improve and I'll be able to sell them next year."

You know why I know all the excuses? Because I'm just as guilty. I bred 7 mares in 2007 when I still had 2 2006 fillies I had not yet sold. Tsk, tsk.

It's a habit. We feel that we need to keep doing it. We have blinders on that we don't even know about. We've convinced ourselves that this is the only way to have a business with horses--a creature that is very near and dear to our hearts.

For example, a friend of mine asked me about my business plans. In a nutshell, this was my answer:
--Try to place Patience in a 4H home as a yearling project to cut down on expenses.
--Break and train Paula and attempt to show her next year.
--Show Laramie at halter next year and not break her out until fall 2010.
--Geld JJ and begin his training as an all-round show gelding
--Continue with Bambi and Truly's baby's training, but mostly keep them on a maintenance plan
--Eddie will stand next spring in Oregon.

She asked me a very valid question. In keeping Eddie's girls and trying to place Patience was I backing myself into a corner? Actually, yes, I am. The only horse I have that I could breed to Eddie would be Laramie, and she's only a yearling who needs to be shown first. HOWEVER, that is the old school of thought, isn't it? Ideally I'd be keeping a colt as a stud prospect, selling all the fillies and obtaining very nice mares. That would be the way to build a breeding program.

And the habit rears its ugly head--a focus on breeding, in a world already filled with too many unwanted horses.

So what's the real answer?

Realistically, I can't sell these horses. I could probably sell Paula, but honestly that girl and I have been through hell and back and we're now connected in a way that cannot be broken. In other words, she's staying LOL. I could maybe sell one of the others, but at what price? $500? No thanks. They are worth more than that for me to keep them.

I could find some homes to give them away to, but for what purpose? To make room to create more? In what way is that a business plan? That isn't even charity?

Realistically I need to keep these foals. I have indeed considered gelding Eddie. I still consider it. I probably will continue to consider it. I love his foals, but I do have some lovely daughters by him. The reasons for keeping him intact are strongly emotional and thankfully not something I have to make myself face quite yet.

That being said, I plan my business not around future foals, but around current foals, because that's what I have. They're already here--no additional investment required. No risk, either, as I know exactly what I have--they're right in front of me.

I don't hold a degree in Business or Economics, but common sense tells me that if we don't change anything, the market isn't going to change. It's time to take a step back, shed off those habits and get a fresh perspective. Take what is already there and USE it. Train, promote, show, and have some FUN!!

I know not having a foal to look forward to in the spring seems almost foreign, but believe me, after a season of not having to do those hourly checks all night long for two weeks straight, foaling out a mare is not something I miss anymore. I don't miss getting iodine on everything except the foal's navel. I don't miss holding my breath waiting for that second front hoof to make an appearance. I don't miss trying to inspect a 20 pound slippery, stinky, mucous-y placenta for holes or missing pieces. I don't miss trying to hold a newborn foal (while it's stepping on your feet with those tiny, sharp hooves) while shoving an enema up it's patootie waiting for that first critical poo. I don't miss waiting 11 months for a stillborn or red bag delivery.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't do something just because it's the way you've always done it. Let's try to stop our habits and old ways of thinking. When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you need to do is stop digging. If nothing else, just take a year off, take all that money you would have spent on breeding and buy yourself a trip to a spa, upgrade your horse trailer, or plan a few extra shows. The nice thing about breeding horses is you can always go back to it. Don't make excuses to continue on with a habit. Have purpose in what you do, and you might just find out that you're really much happier without those things that you had convinced yourself you needed to do!

2 comments:

Vectormom said...

Bless you for being a breeder that is thinking responsibly. Loved the post. I hope many more read it.

Jessie said...

Thank you. I know this is difficult times for many people who breed horses because they love the experience, so I hope in sharing my own experience in changing my program, hopefully it will help others realize there is life after that change! :)