Friday, September 25, 2009

Testicle Free Since 8:30...

Until about 11:30, anyway. OK, let me explain.

JJ had his gelding appointment this morning. He had an appointment earlier this week but it was pouring rain, so we postponed and finally got his "brain surgery" done today. All went well, except the vet had to give JJ 5 cc's of tranquilizer (normally it takes 3 cc's, regardless of size) and despite being super knocked out, JJ was up and walking around relatively quickly! I guess despite the fact he hasn't grown much in the last few months, he still lives up to his nickname of "The Moose," since we had to give him enough sedative to knock out a moose!

The vet kept saying what a nice colt he is, which made me feel pretty good about my goofy boy :) It was good to finally get that little operation taken care of and get JJ kicked out with the girls. He has had NO swelling at all (knock on wood) and is doing great.

He also loaded up and traveled by himself so well. He is such an incredible kid. I'm so thankful for him--he's going to be a really nice all-round show gelding for me to gave fun on, and hopefully go on some trail rides in the future, too!

OK, so that took care of our last boy here on the ranch... or so I thought.

Let me back up a bit. Yesterday I made the mistake of perusing a few ads on craigslist. I saw an ad for a Scottish Fold, which is a relatively rare breed of cat. I clicked on it, curious as to why anyone would be giving one up. Well, it was a vet clinic saying he had only one day left. I felt bad for him, but went on thinking I can't save them all. I had thought about getting Harley a buddy for quite sometime now, but I really hesitate getting another cat as Cartman got to be a real jerk to Harley. What if another cat was also a jerk? Cartman has a great home with my ex, Spencer, but it wouldn't be so easy to find a home for another jerk!

So I went on, feeling bad for the Fold but not really thinking anything about it. Later that night another person posted, pleading for his life. Again, I felt bad for the guy but didn't think much of it--so many poor cats are put down everyday because people won't spay/neuter their pets.

Well, a friend emailed me the ad early this morning, apparently knowing full well what a sucker I am (sigh). Third time was a charm and I came home with a big, lovable kitteh that will hopefully soon look something similar to this.

Meet Magnus:

Well, this isn't really Magnus, but the closest I could find to what he will hopefully look like after a bath, some proper food and GETTING FIXED! His coat is dull, he has scars all over him from tomcat fights, and he's on the lean side, but hopefully after some premium catfood and a little love and care he'll be this beautiful glowing blue color rather than the dull gray/blue color he is now. Same color, though, same eyes, and same ears :)

The poor kid is between 2 and 4 years old and he was the last cat left there today, and the end of today would have been the end of him. No one wants older cats--everyone wants a kitten. Well, I brought him home and I think his name should be Magnus.

Only problem is, he really isn't a Scottish Fold. The terrible truth is he has been on the streets for so long and so battle-scarred that his ears are the result of hemotomas that burst and damaged the cartilage in his ears! Poor kid. You'd never be able to tell from his demeanor, though. He is so incredibly sweet, quiet, well-behaved, loving, and did I mention sweet? Real pictures coming soon!

But....he needs to be fixed, so we were testicle free for a whole 3 hours today..... Boys, boys boys....

Eh, whatcha gonna do? :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww thats so nice of you. I had an old cat of mine, Pepper. His one ear was like that. I can remember him coming home and my mom having to pop huge cysts of blood that developed in his ears from fighting.He was fixed too. Poor boys.

Vectormom said...

Oh my .... testicle free only three hours!! LOL! That was kinda funny. Bless you for saving Magnus. Now he can 'play' out the rest of his life. Hope he takes to Harley well...much luck on your new 'catty' adventure!

tailwindssouth.blogspot.com