Monday, August 2, 2010

Broken

This past weekend I didn't do anything that I said I would, except for one thing. I got the girls' fence done.

Not this fence. For one thing, it's not a suitable horse fence. This is actually the fence I'd like to put in front of the house, along the highway, one day. I have the picture 'cause it's purty.

No, I put in a regular horse-safe fence, using t-posts (with caps, of course) and iron cattle panels. And before I go any further, I'd like to warn you that I intend to whine right about now.

I knew that it was hard work pounding those t-posts into the ground. It was only about 150 degrees outside, no shade, no wind, and the ground seemed to guzzle up any bit of water I put on it without softening the soil whatsoever. The t-posts, which usually take me about 20 seconds to pound into the ground, took a good 5 minutes of constant pounding each. I actually broke one of the steel posts. My point? It sucked.

I knew it sucked and I was tired afterward because of how much it sucked, but I didn't fully realize it's suckiness until this morning.

I can't move.

Well, that's a bit of an overexaggeration. I can move, but oh. my. God. I don't want to.

So, yesterday's lesson is "Don't build fence in August." Check.

To get my mind off my pain, and so I can end this whine-spree, I've decided to share a list of things I'm looking forward to:

1. Picking up my trailer Saturday. Yippee skippy!!


2. My trip to Colorado next month. I missed out on the trip in the spring for my grandma's 80th birthday party because of Eddie's illness and waiting on Suzie to foal. Now I can go visit everyone and not feel like such a slacker. Or at the very least, feel like less of a slacker.

3. School. Crazy, I know, but I'm actually looking forward to starting in on trying to get my second Bachelor's degree and this time in something useful: accounting. That's the nice thing about life--while I can't go back and fix my past mistakes, I can flip a u-turn and try again.

4. Fall. I'm ready for a break from the 510 degree weather. Remind me of this in February.

5. One day, finishing my house. I will often see photos online of rooms that I love and want to model my house after. Here's the kitchen I want:

It's so open, simple and inviting. It's the country look that I prefer--more classic with clean lines, warm wood accents, and a utilitarian feel.

6. I think I'll also look forward to healing from my weekend warrior fence building. That, my friends, can't come soon enough.

Yes, I'd like some cheese with my wine,
~Jess

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL I could have told ya pounding in T posts in Aug sucks. Try digging fence holes with a manual fence hole digger right now. I gave up and went and used the neighbors auger attachment. I was done with that $@&#*(@&^$(&@#!!! post hole digger.