Friday, August 28, 2009

Coop'n Update

I promise this isn't going to be come a coupon blog.

Or a shopping blog.

Or a cheapskate blog.

I just wanted to add a follow-up to last night's post, to let ya'll know what I found. And let me tell you my friends, the harvest was bountiful.
Well, I actually saved more money than even what a Confederate note is worth! :)

First of all, I found this awesome local savings blog:


Score!

I was also able to access a little more info on Walgreen's website than I had before. Not sure if I was just too medicated to notice the second weekly flier (the one with more than one page) or what the deal was, but I was able to "pre-shop" and see how I could best use my manufacturer coupons, combine them with the sales and also the Register Rewards. Here's how I made out:

Walgreens

1. Dryel on sale for $8.99
($2.00) Coupon on Dryel website
($2.00) register rewards
= $4.99 total. Not too bad and I've had a limited wardrobe for months because I couldn't bring myself to pay for dry cleaning or another box of Dryel, so this will actually expand my clothing options for work AND help me save money!

2. Kelloggs cereal 2/$7.00 (sign actually said 2/$6 so I was a little miffed that I didnt' catch the error before I left the parking lot, but it wasn't worth driving back all the way into downtown OP).
($1.50 off two boxes) coupon
($2.00) register rewards
=$3.50 for two, or $1.75 per box for Special K with strawberries, so not too bad still, and better yet, fairly healthy!

3. Starbucks Ice Cream Pints 2/$6
($1.00 of two pints) coupon
=$5 for two, or $2.50 each. Not a great savings, but these actually ended up being free as I had a coupon for $5 off a purchase of $25 or more.

That's my justification and I'm sticking to it.

4. Crest Toothpaste 2/$5.00
($2.00) register rewards
=$3.00 for two or $1.50 each, plus they each came with a free bonus travel size, so I got quite a bit of toothpaste stocked up now for not much money. And I was just about out, too.

5. Listerine 3/$9
($3.00) register rewards
=3/$6 or $2 each. Yes, for normal people it would be silly to stock up on Listerine, but every horseperson understands Listerine can be one of the best grooming products in your barn.

And no, I haven't taught JJ to gargle.

Overall, between sale, coupons, and register rewards, I saved $21.05. Not too bad for a novice, I don't think.

HyVee
I mostly stopped here to do my banking and get a roll of quarters for water hauling the next two weeks, but I did check out the sales and did make a couple of really good purchases:

1. Jello 2/$1.00
($.50 off two boxes) coupon
= $.50 for two, or only $.25 each. I got the sugar free kind, too, so pretty healthy, and I got peach to go with the peaches I bought the other day. I can't wait to make peach jello, with peaches and add a little whipped cream. Yum!

2. Suave Shampoo $1.00
($1.00 off two bottles) coupon, in Spanish no less LOL
= $1.00 for two, or $.50 each, and I love strawberry Suave shampoo. It reminds me of the Strawberry Shortcake shampoo I had when I was little.

I did use a couple of small coupons but it wasn't much--about a dollar more off total. The rest of the bill was spent on chicken, carrots, and mushrooms for Coq Au Vin that I'm planning on making in the crock pot this weekend. I forgot bacon, though, derned it. Luckily I have some Pinot Noir sitting around here and an onion, so I'm almost good to go. Here's the recipe.

I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Saving money, good food, and wine. Does it get any better than that?

No comments: